Wisconsin Rental Laws
Your Wisconsin Rental Laws Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Wisconsin has 72 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Wisconsin Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Wisconsin Landlord Tenant Handbook
- Tenant Rights Factsheet
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: No Restrictions
- Return Deadline: 21 Days
Notice and Fees
- Applications Fees: $20 maximum. It is required to provide the tenant with a copy of the report.
- Termination Notice: 5 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes
- Wisconsin Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Wisconsin Real Estate Advisory Council
- Wisconsin Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Adams, Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Brown, Buffalo, Burnett, Calumet, Chippewa, Clark, Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Door, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Florence, Fond Du Lac, Forest, Grant, Green, Green Lake, Iowa, Iron, Jackson, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, Kewaunee, La Crosse, Lafayette, Langlade, Lincoln, Manitowoc, Marathon, Marinette, Marquette, Menominee, Milwaukee, Monroe, Oconto, Oneida, Outagamie, Ozaukee, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Portage, Price, Racine, Richland, Rock, Rusk, St. Croix, Sauk, Sawyer, Shawano, Sheboygan, Taylor, Trempealeau, Vernon, Vilas, Walworth, Washburn, Washington, Waukesha, Waupaca, Waushara, Winnebago, Wood
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: April 21, 2020