Rhode Island Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Rhode Island has 5 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Rhode Island Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- Rhode Island Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month
- Return Deadline: 20 Days
Fees and Notices
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 20 days for material noncompliance.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes
- Rhode Island Required Landlord Disclosure
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Rhode Island Real Estate Commission
- Rhode Island Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties covered: Bristol, Kent, Newport, Providence, Washington
Last Updated: November 10, 2016
No Set Up Fees, No Contracts, No Monthly Minimums!