North Carolina Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of North Carolina has 100 counties.
State Rules and Regulations:
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- North Carolina Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- North Carolina Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: Based on length of lease. Weekly: 2 weeks rent. Month to month: 1 and a half month’s rent. Greater than month to month: 2 Months rent.
- Return Deadline: 30 days; if landlord’s claim against the deposit cannot be finalized within that time, landlord may send an interim accounting and a final accounting within 60 days of the tenancy’s termination
Fees and Notices:
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: Landlord can terminate with an Unconditional Quit notice if term is material.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes or repair and deduct
- North Carolina Required Landlord Disclosures:
- The Lead Disclosure Rule – Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission
- North Carolina Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act – Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act – The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties Provided: Alamance, Alexander, Alleghany, Anson, Ashe, Avery, Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Brunswick, Buncombe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Camden, Carteret, Caswell, Catawba, Chatham, Cherokee, Chowan, Clay, Cleveland, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Currituck, Dare, Davidson, Davie, Duplin, Durham, Edgecombe, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Gates, Graham, Granville, Greene, Guilford, Halifax, Harnett, Haywood, Henderson, Hertford, Hoke, Hyde, Iredell, Jackson, Johnston, Jones, Lee, Lenoir, Lincoln, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Martin, Mecklenburg, Mitchell, Montgomery, Moore, Nash, New Hanover, Northampton, Onslow, Orange, Pamlico, Pasquotank, Pender, Perquimans, Person, Pitt, Polk, Randolph, Richmond, Robeson, Rockingham, Rowan, Rutherford, Sampson, Scotland, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Swain, Transylvania, Tyrrell, Union, Vance, Wake, Warren, Washington, Watauga, Wayne, Wilkes, Wilson, Yadkin, Yancey
Last Updated: November 10, 2016
No Set Up Fees, No Contracts, No Monthly Minimums!