New Mexico Rental Laws
Your New Mexico Rental Laws Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
Official Website of the State of New Mexico
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of New Mexico was 2,085,572 on July 1, 2014, a 1.28% increase since the 2010 United States Census
The State of New Mexico has 33 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- New Mexico Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- New Mexico Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: Leases less than 1 year = 1 Month’s rent. Leases greater than 1 year = No Limit.
- Return Deadline: 30 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 7 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes
- New Mexico Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- New Mexico Real Estate Commission
- New Mexico Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Tenant Rights FAQ
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Bernalillo, Catron, Chaves, Cibola, Colfax, Curry, De Baca, Dona Ana, Eddy, Grant, Guadalupe, Harding, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Los Alamos, Luna, McKinley, Mora, Otero, Quay, Rio Arriba, Roosevelt, Sandoval, San Juan, San Miguel, Santa Fe, Sierra, Socorro, Taos, Torrance, Union, Valencia
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: April 15, 2020