Nebraska Rental Laws
Your Nebraska Rental Laws Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Nebraska has 93 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Nebraska Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Nebraska Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month. Pet deposit cannot exceed ¼ months’ rent.
- Return Deadline: 14 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 14 days to cure, 16 additional days to vacate
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes or repair and deduct
- Nebraska Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Nebraska Real Estate Commission
- Nebraska Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Adams, Antelope, Arthur, Banner, Blaine, Boone, Box Butte, Boyd, Brown, Buffalo, Burt, Butler, Cass, Cedar, Chase, Cherry, Cheyenne, Clay, Colfax, Cuming, Custer, Dakota, Dawes, Dawson, Deuel, Dixon, Dodge, Douglas, Dundy, Fillmore, Franklin, Frontier, Furnas, Gage, Garden, Garfield, Gosper, Grant, Greeley, Hall, Hamilton, Harlan, Hayes, Hitchcock, Holt, Hooker, Howard, Jefferson, Johnson, Kearney, Keith, Keya Paha, Kimball, Knox, Lancaster, Lincoln, Logan, Loup, McPherson, Madison, Merrick, Morrill, Nance, Nemaha, Nuckolls, Otoe, Pawnee, Perkins, Phelps, Pierce, Platte, Polk, Red Willow, Richardson, Rock, Saline, Sarpy, Saunders, Scotts Bluff, Seward, Sheridan, Sherman, Sioux, Stanton, Thayer, Thomas, Thurston, Valley, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Wheeler, York
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: April 14, 2020