Montana Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Montana has 56 Counties
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Montana Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Montana Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: No Restrictions
- Return Deadline: 30 days (10 days if no deductions)
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 14 days; 3 days if unauthorized pet or person on premises.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes or repair and deduct
- Montana Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Montana Board of Realty Regulation
- Montana Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Montana Landlords Association
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Beaverhead, Big Horn, Blaine, Broadwater, Carbon, Carter, Cascade, Chouteau, Custer, Daniels, Dawson, Deer Lodge, Fallon, Fergus, Flathead, Gallatin, Garfield, Glacier, Golden Valley, Granite, Hill, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Lake, Lewis And Clark, Liberty, Lincoln, Madison, McCone, Meagher, Mineral, Missoula, Musselshell, Park, Petroleum, Phillips, Pondera, Powder River, Powell, Prairie, Ravalli, Richland, Roosevelt, Rosebud, Sanders, Sheridan, Silver Bow, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, Teton, Toole, Treasure, Valley, Wheatland, Wibaux, Yellowstone, Yellowstone National Park
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: November 10, 2016
No Set Up Fees, No Contracts, No Monthly Minimums!