Missouri Rental Laws
Your Missouri Rental Laws Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
Official Website of the State of Missouri
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Missouri was 6,063,589 on July 1, 2014, a 1.25% increase since the 2010 United States Census.
The State of Missouri has 114 counties and 1 independent city totaling 115.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Missouri Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Missouri Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 2 Months
- Return Deadline: 30 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 10 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes or repair and deduct
- Missouri Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Missouri Real Estate Commission
- Missouri Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Adair, Andrew, Atchison, Audrain, Barry, Barton, Bates, Benton, Bollinger, Boone, Buchanan, Butler, Caldwell, Callaway, Camden, Cape Girardeau, Carroll, Carter, Cass, Cedar, Chariton, Christian, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Cole, Cooper, Crawford, Dade, Dallas, Daviess, De Kalb, Dent, Douglas, Dunklin, Franklin, Gasconade, Gentry, Greene, Grundy, Harrison, Henry, Hickory, Holt, Howard, Howell, Iron, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Laclede, Lafayette, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Madison, Maries, Marion, McDonald, Mercer, Miller, Mississippi, Moniteau, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, New Madrid, Newton, Nodaway, Oregon, Osage, Ozark, Pemiscot, Perry, Pettis, Phelps, Pike, Platte, Polk, Pulaski, Putnam, Ralls, Randolph, Ray, Reynolds, Ripley, St. Charles, St. Clair, Ste. Genevieve, St. Francois, St. Louis, St. Louis City, Saline, Schuyler, Scotland, Scott, Shannon, Shelby, Stoddard, Stone, Sullivan, Taney, Texas, Vernon, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Worth, Wright
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: April 13, 2020