Massachusetts Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Massachusetts has 14 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Massachusetts Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Massachusetts Landlord Tenant Handbook
- Landlord and Tenant Law by Trial Court Library
- How to be a Landlord and Avoid Legal Trouble by Attorney Joseph Ross
- Massachusetts Housing Court
- Eviction Storage Law
- Eviction Self Help Guide
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month
- Return Deadline: 30 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: Landlord can terminate with an Unconditional Quit notice.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes and may repair and deduct subject to conditions
- Massachusetts Required Landlord Disclosure
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties covered: Barnstable, Berkshire, Bristol, Dukes, Essex, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, Worcester
Last Updated: November 10, 2016
No Set Up Fees, No Contracts, No Monthly Minimums!