Kansas Rental Laws
Your Guide to Kansas Rental Laws with helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Kansas was 2,904,021 on July 1, 2014, a 1.78% increase since the 2010 United States Census and an increase of 40,839, or 1.4%, since the year 2010
The State of Kansas has 105 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Kansas Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Kansas Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 2 Months
- Return Deadline: 30 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 14 days to cure and an additional 16 to vacate.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: No but tenant may terminate lease on 30 Day notice for landlord violations of lease. Landlord has 14 days to remedy.
- Kansas Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Kansas Real Estate Commission
- Kansas Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Allen, Anderson, Atchison, Barber, Barton, Bourbon, Brown, Butler, Chase, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Clark, Clay, Cloud, Coffey, Comanche, Cowley, Crawford, Decatur, Dickinson, Doniphan, Douglas, Edwards, Elk, Ellis, Ellsworth, Finney, Ford, Franklin, Geary, Gove, Graham, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Greenwood, Hamilton, Harper, Harvey, Haskell, Hodgeman, Jackson, Jefferson, Jewell, Johnson, Kearny, Kingman, Kiowa, Labette, Lane, Leavenworth, Lincoln, Linn, Logan, Lyon, Marion, Marshall, McPherson, Meade, Miami, Mitchell, Montgomery, Morris, Morton, Nemaha, Neosho, Ness, Norton, Osage, Osborne, Ottawa, Pawnee, Phillips, Pottawatomie, Pratt, Rawlins, Reno, Republic, Rice, Riley, Rooks, Rush, Russell, Saline, Scott, Sedgwick, Seward, Shawnee, Sheridan, Sherman, Smith, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Sumner, Thomas, Trego, Wabaunsee, Wallace, Washington, Wichita, Wilson, Woodson, Wyandotte
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
Last Updated: April 8, 2020