Indiana Rental Laws
Your Guide to Indiana Rental Laws with helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Indiana has 92 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Fact Sheet on Tenant Rights in Indiana
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Indiana State Code
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: No Restrictions
- Return Deadline: 45 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions but must be reasonable
- Termination Notice: Landlord must give the tenant a “reasonable amount of time” to cure.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: No Statute
- Indiana Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Indiana Real Estate Commission
- Indiana Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Adams, Allen, Bartholomew, Benton, Blackford, Boone, Brown, Carroll, Cass, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Decatur, De Kalb, Delaware, Dubois, Elkhart, Fayette, Floyd, Fountain, Franklin, Fulton, Gibson, Grant, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Harrison, Hendricks, Henry, Howard, Huntington, Jackson, Jasper, Jay, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Knox, Kosciusko, La Porte, Lagrange, Lake, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Martin, Miami, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Newton, Noble, Ohio, Orange, Owen, Parke, Perry, Pike, Porter, Posey, Pulaski, Putnam, Randolph, Ripley, Rush, St. Joseph, Scott, Shelby, Spencer, Starke, Steuben, Sullivan, Switzerland, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Union, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, Wabash, Warren, Warrick, Washington, Wayne, Wells, White, Whitley
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
Last Updated: April 8, 2020