Illinois Rental Laws
Your Guide to Illinois Rental Laws with helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
Official Website of the State of Illinois
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Illinois was 12,880,580 on July 1, 2014, a 0.39% increase since the 2010 United States Census.
The State of Illinois has 102 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Illinois Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Illinois Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: No Restrictions
- Return Deadline: For properties with five or more units, 30 to 45 days, depending on whether tenant disputes deductions or if statement and receipts are furnished
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 10 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Can withhold or repair and deduct which must not exceed one-half of the rent or $500
- Illinois Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Adams, Alexander, Bond, Boone, Brown, Bureau, Calhoun, Carroll, Cass, Champaign, Christian, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Coles, Cook, Crawford, Cumberland, DeKalb, De Witt, Douglas, DuPage, Edgar, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Ford, Franklin, Fulton, Gallatin, Greene, Grundy, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Henderson, Henry, Iroquois, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Jersey, Jo Daviess, Johnson, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Knox, La Salle, Lake, Lawrence, Lee, Livingston, Logan, McDonough, McHenry, McLean, Macon, Macoupin, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Mason, Massac, Menard, Mercer, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Moultrie, Ogle, Peoria, Perry, Piatt, Pike, Pope, Pulaski, Putnam, Randolph, Richland, Rock Island, Saline, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott, Shelby, St. Clair, Stark, Stephenson, Tazewell, Union, Vermilion, Wabash, Warren, Washington, Wayne, White, Whiteside, Will, Williamson, Winnebago, Woodford
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: April 8. 2020