Delaware Rental Laws
Your Delaware Rental Laws Guide with helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
Official Website of the State of Delaware
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Delaware was 935,614 on July 1, 2014, a 4.2% increase since the 2010 United States Census
The State of Delaware has 3 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Delaware Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- Delaware Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 month for an unfurnished unit leased for a year or longer
- Return Deadline: 20 Days
Fees and Notices
- Applications Fees: $50 or 10% of the monthly rent whichever is greater
- Termination Notice: 7 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Can withhold or can repair and deduct
- Delaware Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Delaware Real Estate Commission
- Delaware Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Nationwide and Canada Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children.
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties Provided: Kent, New Castle, Sussex
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
Last Updated: April 7, 2020