Connecticut Rental Laws
Your Guide to Connecticut Rental Laws with helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
Official Website of the State of Connecticut
The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Connecticut was 3,596,677 on July 1, 2014, a 0.63% increase since the 2010 United States Census.
The State of Connecticut has 8 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Connecticut Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Connecticut Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 2 Months and for those over 62 years old, 1 Month
- Return Deadline: 30 days, or within 15 days of receiving tenant’s forwarding address, whichever is later
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 15 days; no right to cure for nonpayment of rent or serious nuisance.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Can withhold for repair and deduct
- Connecticut Required Landlord Disclosure
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Connecticut Real Estate Commission
- Connecticut Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Nationwide and Canada Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties covered: Fairfield, Hartford, Litchfield, Middlesex, New Haven, New London, Tolland, Windham
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
Last Updated: April 7, 2020