Alaska Rental Laws
Your Alaska Rental Laws Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Alaska has 19 boroughs, 1 unorganized borough and 10 census areas totaling 30.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Alaska Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- Alaska Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 2 Months or greater if the monthly rent is greater than $2,000
- Return Deadline: Under Alaska law, a landlord must return the tenant’s security deposit within 14 days if the tenant has given proper notice to terminate the tenancy. The landlord has 30 days to return the deposit if the tenant hasn’t given proper notice
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 10 days for violators of agreement materially affecting health and safety; 3 days to cure for failing to pay utility bills, resulting in shut-off, additional 2 to vacate.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Can Withhold or Repair and Deduct
- Alaska Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Alaska Real Estate Commission
- Alaska Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Nationwide and Canada Verify Real
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Aleutians East ,Aleutians West ,Anchorage ,Bethel ,Bristol Bay ,Denali, Dillingham, Fairbanks North Star ,Haines ,Juneau ,Kenai Peninsula ,Ketchikan Gateway ,Kodiak Island, Lake And Peninsula ,Matanuska-Susitna ,Nome ,North Slope ,Northwest Arctic ,Prince of Wales-Outer Ketchikan, Sitka ,Skagway ,Southeast Fairbanks ,Valdez-Cordova ,Wade Hampton, Wrangell, Yakutat
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
Last Updated: April 7, 2020