Alabama Rental Laws
Your Alabama Rental Laws Guide with helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Alabama contains 67 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- The Alabama Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Alabama Landlord Tenant Handbook
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections: Alabama
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month’s Rent. Exceptions allowed including pets.
- Return Deadline: 35 Days
Fees and Notice:
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 14 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Not allowed
- Alabama Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule – Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
- Tenant Rights FAQ
Real Estate Links:
- Alabama Real Estate Commission
- Alabama Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Nationwide and Canada Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Fair Credit Reporting Act – Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act – The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children.
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties Provided: Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Blount, Bullock, Butler, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Choctaw, Clarke, Clay, Cleburne, Coffee, Colbert, Conecuh, Coosa, Covington, Crenshaw, Cullman, Dale, Dallas, De Kalb, Elmore, Escambia, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Geneva, Greene, Hale, Henry, Houston, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lee, Limestone, Lowndes, Macon, Madison, Marengo, Marion, Marshall, Mobile, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Randolph, Russell, St. Clair, Shelby, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, Washington, Wilcox, Winston
- Options for Tenant Screening Packages and Prices
Last Updated: April 7, 2020