New Jersey Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of New Jersey has 21 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- New Jersey Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- New Jersey Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 and a half months
- Return Deadline: 30 days; five days in case of fire, flood, condemnation, or evacuation; does not apply to owner-occupied building with two or fewer units where tenant fails to provide 30 days’ written notice to landlord invoking provisions of act
Fees and Notice:
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 3 days; lease must specify which violations will result in eviction. (Some courts have ruled that the tenant be given an opportunity to cure the violation or condition any time up to the entry of judgment in favor of the landlord.)
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes or repair and deduct
- New Jersey Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule – Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- New Jersey Real Estate Commission
- New Jersey Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act – Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act – The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties Provided: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!