New York Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of New York has 62 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- New York Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- New York Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month
- Return Deadline: Reasonable Time
Fees and Notices:
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: Regulated units: 10 days or as set by applicable rent regulation.
- Non-regulated units: No statute.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes or repair and deduct
- New York Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule – Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links:
- New York Real Estate Commission
- New York Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act – Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act – The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties Provided: Albany, Allegany, Bronx, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Kings, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, New York City, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Putnam, Queens, Rensselaer, Richmond, Rockland, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Suffolk, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westchester, Wyoming, Yates
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!