New Hampshire Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of New Hampshire has 10 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- New Hampshire Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- New Hampshire Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month or $100.00 whichever is greater
- Return Deadline: 30 days; for shared facilities, if the deposit is more than 30 days’ rent, landlord must provide written agreement acknowledging receipt and specifying when deposit will be returned — if no written agreement, 20 days after tenant vacates
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 30 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes
- New Hampshire Required Landlord Disclosure
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- New Hampshire Real Estate Commission
- New Hampshire Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties covered: Belknap, Carroll, Cheshire, Coos, Grafton, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham, Strafford, Sullivan
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!