Minnesota Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Minnesota has 87 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Key Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Minnesota Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Minnesota Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: No Restrictions
- Return Deadline: 21 Days after tenant leaves, and landlord receives mailing address; 5 days if tenant must leave due to building condemnation
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: Limited to paid amount of tenant screening
- Termination Notice: Can File Immediately
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes but must be placed in an escrow account
- Minnesota Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Aitkin, Anoka, Becker, Beltrami, Benton, Big Stone, Blue Earth, Brown, Carlton, Carver, Cass, Chippewa, Chisago, Clay, Clearwater, Cook, Cottonwood, Crow Wing, Dakota, Dodge, Douglas, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Grant, Hennepin, Houston, Hubbard, Isanti, Itasca, Jackson, Kanabec, Kandiyohi, Kittson, Koochiching, Lac Qui Parle, Lake, Lake Of The Wood, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Lyon, Mahnomen, Marshall, Martin, McLeod, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Norman, Olmsted, Otter Tail, Pennington, Pine, Pipestone, Polk, Pope, Ramsey, Red Lake, Redwood, Renville, Rice, Rock, Roseau, St. Louis, Scott, Sherburne, Sibley, Stearns, Steele, Stevens, Swift, Todd, Traverse, Wabasha, Wadena, Waseca, Washington, Watonwan, Wilkin, Winona, Wright, Yellow Medicine
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!