Michigan Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Michigan has 83 counties.State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Michigan Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Michigan Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 and a half month’s rent
- Return Deadline: 30 Days
State Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 30 days for tenant at will or if lease provides for termination for violations of its provisions.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Tenant can repair and deduct
- Michigan Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Alcona, Alger, Allegan, Alpena, Antrim, Arenac, Baraga, Barry, Bay, Benzie, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Chippewa, Clare, Clinton, Crawford, Delta, Dickinson, Eaton, Emmet, Genesee, Gladwin, Gogebic, Grand Traverse, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Houghton, Huron, Ingham, Ionia, Iosco, Iron, Isabella, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Kalkaska, Kent, Keweenaw, Lake, Lapeer, Leelanau, Lenawee, Livingston, Luce, Mackinac, Macomb, Manistee, Marquette, Mason, Mecosta, Menominee, Midland, Missaukee, Monroe, Montcalm, Montmorency, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oakland, Oceana, Ogemaw, Ontonagon, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Ottawa, Presque Isle, Roscommon, Saginaw, St. Clair, St. Joseph, Sanilac, Schoolcraft, Shiawassee, Tuscola, Van Buren, Washtenaw, Wayne, Wexford
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!