Maryland Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Maryland has 23 counties and 1 independent city totaling 24.
State Laws and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Maryland Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- Maryland Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 2 Months
- Return Deadline: 45 Days
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
Fees and Notices
- Termination Notice: 30 days unless breach poses clear and imminent danger, then 14 days (no cure).
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Tenant may repair and deduct circumstance dependent
- Maryland Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Maryland Real Estate Commission
- Maryland Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties Provided: Allegany County, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Calvert County, Caroline County, Carroll County, Cecil County, Charles County, Dorchester County, Frederick County, Garrett County, Harford County, Howard County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, Queen Anne’s County, St. Mary’s County, Somerset County, Talbot County, Washington County, Wicomico County, Worcester County
Last Updated: November 10, 2016
No Set Up Fees, No Contracts, No Monthly Minimums!