Maine Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Maine has 16 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Maine Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections
- Maine Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 2 Months
- Return Deadline: 30 days (if written rental agreement) or 21 days (if tenancy at will)
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 7 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: If reasonable cost of compliance is less than $500 or an amount equal to 1/2 the monthly rent, the tenant may repair and deduct
- Maine Required Landlord Disclosure
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Maine Real Estate Commission
- Maine Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Counties covered: Androscoggin, Aroostook, Cumberland, Franklin, Hancock, Kennebec, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Penobscot, Piscataquis, Sagadahoc, Somerset, Waldo, Washington, York
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!