Hawaii Rental Laws
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
The State of Hawaii has 5 counties.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- Hawaii Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- Hawaii Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month
- Return Deadline: 14 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 10 day notice to cure: if it has not ceased, must wait another 20 to file for eviction; 24 hours to cease a nuisance: if it has not ceased in 24 hours, 5 days to cure before filing for eviction.
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Can withhold or repair and deduct
- Hawaii Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- Hawaii Real Estate Commission
- Hawaii Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Nationwide and Canada Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
- Counties covered: Hawaii, Honolulu, Kalawao, Kauai, Maui
- Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Last Updated: November 10, 2016
No Set Up Fees, No Contracts, No Monthly Minimums!