District of Colombia Rental Laws.
Your Guide to helpful links and information for leases, rent, security deposits, tenant screening, real estate and government.
State Rules and Regulations
- Keys Laws Landlords and Tenants Need to Know
- D.C. Residential Landlord and Tenant Code
- Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections:
- D.C. Landlord Tenant Handbook
Important Lease Terms
- Amount: 1 Month
- Return Deadline: 45 Days
Fees and Notice
- Applications Fees: No Restrictions
- Termination Notice: 30 Days
- Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent: Yes and can repair and deduct
- D.C. Required Landlord Disclosures
- The Lead Disclosure Rule: Federal law requires that before signing a lease for housing built before 1978, renters must receive The Lead Based Paint EPA Disclosure and Lead Based Paint EPA Pamphlet
Real Estate Links
- District of Colombia Real Estate Commission
- D.C. Verify Real Estate Agent License
- Verify RE Agent License Nationwide and Canada
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: Federal Government legislation which promotes the accuracy, fairness, and privacy of consumer information contained in the files of consumer reporting agencies.
- Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children
Last Updated: November 10, 2015
Sign Up for Free Tips, Articles and Updates!